Illawong Lodge is situated approximately 2.5 km South of Guthega, on the Snowy River, within the Kosciuszko National Park.
Illawong is remote and its main access is from Guthega. For this reason, it is strongly recommended that you consider the following:
- Check the weather forecast at Paddy Pallin or Wilderness Sports at Jindabyne. It might be safer to stay in Jindabyne if time and weather are not in your favour, and travel into Illawong the following morning.
- Leave plenty of time to be able to arrive at Illawong in the daylight. It can take anywhere between one and three hours to ski into Illawong from Guthega depending on the weather and skill levels of your party. It takes about an hour to drive to Guthega from Jindabyne in good weather, as well as time to park and prepare for your trip.
- Experience of your group.
- Be prepared for bad weather and consider the appropriate clothing. Weather conditions can change quickly and without notice.
- Read the Safety Guidelines before you leave home, particularly the section marked ‘Ski Safety’
- Carry an adequate map and compass. Recommended maps (available at Paddy Pallin or Wilderness Sports Jindabyne) are:
- Kosciuszko 1:100
- Perisher 1:25 000
- Sutmap 1:40 000
- Carry a head lamp and a first aid kit
- Kosciuszko Today also has seasonal safety information.